Saturday, August 28, 2010

Arizona or BUST pt. I

Today was Day 1 of my trek to Phoenix and WOW am I tired. Driving all day really is exhausting.

My friends who are also moving to Arizona and I had planned to start our day at 6:30am at a restaurant in Clive, IA, but due to a random power outage the place was closed and we spontaneously came up with plan B - meet at Hyvee instead. A few other minor incidents caused us to leave town about 45 minutes after we had planned, but that really wasn't too bad.

What could have been a boring trip was made FANTASTIC by being able to chat with James for most of the day. YAY!!! (With the exception of my phone randomly losing all its service bars and dropping our connection.) I was also able to chat with my best friend, Chrissie, for a while too. Again YAY!!!

The drive itself was OK other than when we hit Kansas City. At a rest stop in Missouri we were told to take I-435 around Kansas City rather than go through the center of it on I-35 because I-35 had issues with a bridge and road construction. BUT the lady at the rest stop didn't know that a big chunk of I-435 was down from 3 lanes to 1 and that the ramp we needed to use to return to I-35 was closed. Thanks lady. You really made our drive better. Because of being at a complete standstill for a while on I-435 one of my friends was able to whip out his cameras and take pictures of interesting things like piles of rocks sitting on the side of the road and a speedometer reading 0 mph on the interstate. I was also able to take that extra time to text my family and friends, do my nails and take a nap. OK slight exaggeration on the nails and nap, but the texting and pictures really are part of our story. What made the limited lane access completely worth the extra time sitting on the interstate was that they really WEREN'T working on the road. The miles of construction cones blocking off the other 2 lanes were likely a strategic part of the KC plan to preserve the roads and not reconstruct or fix them. Brilliant plan.

We arrived at our motel in Pratt, KS at 4pm. At first I was disappointed that we wouldn't be covering more miles on our first day, but I didn't sleep well last night and I didn't use my air conditioner so I'm rather drained and am looking forward to going to sleep REALLY early tonight.

Once we got to the motel we walked to Walmart then got dinner at Taco Bell. We're now sitting in the motel updating our blogs, facebook, texting, etc.

Tomorrow we plan to leave here at 8am and should arrive in Albuquerque, NM around 6pm-ish.

I'd write more about today's trek, but I'm tired and at the point of losing coherence.

No comments: