Monday, December 13, 2010

DMax gets the Boot, pt 2

A few minutes before it was time for the ceremony to start, there was a knock on the "closet" door. When I peeked out, I saw that James, his grandmother, and all our parents were lined up and ready to start the processional.

The most memorable aspect of my processional was listening to the song that James had written for me to enter. The song is very peaceful and soothing; I love it. No matter how calming music may be, it is a bit awkward to walk into a room and see everyone staring at you. When my dad and I started down the isle I had a hard time figuring out where to look. Because of the shape of the room I wasn't able to watch James the whole time. We had to enter from a rear side door and the isle had to v at one point so I could get to the front and center of the room. So when I first entered all I could see were our guests on my sides and in front of me and not James. Thankfully I had people I am close to near the entrance of the room so I didn't feel too odd.

The ceremony was perfect. James and I had written our own vows and rather than do the typical Unity Candle, we performed the Sand Ceremony. That was followed up by a perfect first kiss as husband and wife. Time went so quickly and almost before I could blink we were presented as Mr. & Mrs. James Bootsma.

Our reception was a special time of introducing each other to family members. I now have a TON of aunts and uncles -in-law! It will probably take a few years for me to get all the names right, especially since most of them live in Iowa and we are here in Phoenix.

After a few hours of meeting new people at the reception my 4 year old niece approached James and I and tiredly asked, "Can you leave so we can leave?" It was so cute and hilarious. By that time in the evening James and I were exceptionally tired and wanting to leave too. Thankfully it was only about half an hour after her question that we were able to take off.

No comments: