Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Making Some Changes

I'm sure that all of my regular readers (all 1 of you) have noticed that I have removed my Recent Reading gadget from my sidebar. There are a couple reasons for this: 1. I haven't really been keeping track of what I have been reading. 2. In the grand scheme of life, all the piddly books I was reading really don't matter. I've decided to start giving quick and incomplete reviews or summaries of the books that challenge me to think and act differently. First up is The Five Love Languages of Teenagers by Dr. Gary Chapman.

As in all the other Love Language books Dr. Chapman has written, he explains what the five love languages are and how they apply specifically to the target age group. The five love languages are 1. words of affirmation, 2. acts of service, 3. gifts, 4. physical touch, and 5. quality time. (I did not list the love languages in the order the author taught them.) Dr. Chapman did an excellent job explaining how each of these languages would be best received by teens and how, due to the fluctuating moods and states that teens experience, the teen's receptivity to any given language will vacillate depending on those states of mind.

The book is an easy read and will help the reader better understand teens and how to best relate and help them though the more difficult times of maturation.

After completing The Five Love Languages of Teenagers, I decided that since I didn't know what my personal love languages are I should take the appropriate test. Since I own The Five Love Languages of Singles I decided to turn to the end of the book and be quizzed. I discovered that I am bilingual and am most receptive to words of affirmation (this received 10 out of 30 points) and physical touch (this received 9 out of 30 points). I equally appreciate quality time and acts of service (5 points) but don't waste your money buying me stuff. Gifts scored a low 1 point so I really don't want you to give me anything. Oh wait. Let me re-think that one.

Moral of the story, if you want to make me feel loved feel free to tell me how great I am and give me random hugs.

No comments: