Thursday, October 04, 2007

Answers

Have you ever prayed fervently for something and then when the answer comes as a yes, you wish you could go back in time and ask for something entirely different? These last few weeks have been like that for me. I prayed that God would do something in my life to help me grow spiritually and help me overcome some reoccurring sins. The answer, while in the back of my mind was not completely unexpected, has proven to be a more powerful sculpting tool than I would have dreamed.

I have lived for years with a perceived sense of security that was totally based on my own ability to provide for myself. But God in his wisdom has chosen to tear down my false refuge and compel me to look to himself for true security. I am at a place in life where anything could happen. Some would see this as exciting, as a chance to improve my life and seize new opportunities; I’m not one of those people. Rather than embrace change I tend to fear it.

Earlier this week I was reminded of a few verses I memorized as a young child. Proverbs 3:5-6 “Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” After I came across these verses I was surprised that they hadn’t come to mind weeks earlier. How basic can it get? Trust God, don’t depend on my own knowledge, recognize he is sovereign and in control, and he will show me what he wants me to do.

First Chronicles 28:9 is an admonishment from a parent to a child.“…know the God of your father and serve him with a whole heart and with a willing mind, for the LORD searches all hearts and understands every plan and thought. If you seek him, he will be found by you, but if you forsake him, he will cast you off forever.”

One of my challenges right now is this: How will I come out on the other side of this testing? Will I be more focused on Christ? Will I fight my natural tendencies and serve God wholeheartedly? Will I gladly go and do what he asks? Or will I let my insecurity and fear cause me to fight to remain the same?

I have an incredible amount of support from my family and friends. So many people are praying for me. Until recently I hadn’t begun to comprehend the comfort and peace that results from hearing the words “I’m praying for you.” or “God has a plan and is in control. He will lead you to wherever he has designed for you to go.” I think that a lot of my current strength is stemmed from this aspect of Christianity: the body of Christ.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

So I won't say be careful for what you pray for?!?!

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm glad to see you have one up and running. We are relaxing today. Any new news regarding work? I could say all the same things everyone else is saying, but you already know God has a plan, you just don't know what it is yet! I'm praying too!
Love, Aunt Deb